Sunday, September 10, 2006

 

Hello there!

Hi there, my name is Nupur Kanodia. This is the first blog I've ever written, so I'm not exactly sure where to start, but i'll just jump in with a little introduction. I am 24 years old, entering my first year as a graduate student. I'm enrolled in the School of Social Work at the University of Michigan. However, this is not my first experience in Ann Arbor. I actually attended as an undergraduate, graduating in 2004. I've been away in Chicago getting some 'work experience' since then, and only recently moved back. I'm originally from Rochester Hills, MI, so I'm quite familiar with Ann Arbor and its surrounding areas.

Its definitely interesting coming back to school after taking a little time off. Though I was only gone for a 2 years, you lose the school 'rhthym' pretty fast. Participating in lengthy class periods and lectures, the erractic- often 'non-routine' schedules, and even simple things like academic-based readings take some getting used to! At teh same time, its so nice to be back on a campus where everyone is so focused, motivated, and passionate about what they're studying. Even in a few weeks, I can see the difference between undergraduate and graduate life pretty readily. Whereas in undergraduate, I often felt myself and other classmates often took classes just to take them and studied just for the test for instance, in graduate school, students relish the opportunity to really engage with teh material and yearn to take away as much as they possibly can. I find people emersing themselves into the academic and professional dialogue with a ownership and determination that I often lacked myself as an undergrad in someways. Reflecting on my experiences however, I can say that this lack of direction and often lowered interest in my courses was probably a direct result of - well just not knowing what the heck i wanted to do! For this reason, I'm grateful I took off some time to not only explore opportunities and fields, but also prepare myself for reentering the academic arena with a renewed attitude and agenda.
So, tomorrow begins my second week, and I'll be attending some of my courses for the first time. I'm excited and anxious to get going and see what this year will be like. I'll be sure to keep you updated! thanks for reading :)

Comments:
GOD MORNING
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?